Better GPU to Paint in Paintstorm

Description of your first forum.
ArmorWraith
Better GPU to Paint in Paintstorm

Post by ArmorWraith » Sun May 22, 2016 7:52 pm

Hey guys! I was just wondering what graphics series has the best performance with paint storm. I would like to stay with the nvidia brand.

I currently own a nvidia geforce 660 ti, but I hope to upgrade it for better performance in PSS. I guess what I am asking is, whats the best bang for my bucks currently?

I have an I5 haswell cpu & 8gb ddr3 ram and a single 1080p monitor. I knew buying the 660ti a few years ago would mean less video memory, but I got it for a nice price. Its held up so far on most games, but I would really like to start painting at bigger resolutions with less brush lag.

Any of your insight helps,
:)
Cheers

Armor
EpicReator

Re: Better GPU to Paint in Paintstorm

Post by EpicReator » Fri May 27, 2016 9:50 am

:?: Interesting question!
I also plan to upgrade my system or build me a new workstation for digital painting and want to use Paintstorm mainly because it gets better and better and has a perfect workflow.

@Support are there any particular recommendations for the best working budget GPU? I've seen the GPU mentioned but how important is the GPU for Paintstorm, what does it calculate?

It is important for me to know if i should spend most of my budget money in the cpu or split it for GPU and CPU. :)

Best regards Eric ;)
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Tue May 31, 2016 7:03 pm

to get more speed with Big brushes better to update processor, video card is just draw interface - it's responsible to smooth zoom and canvas moving, Geforce 660 is the little old for games but it's fine to Paintstorm. Also good GPU can increase speed of Paintstorm with 2560 and 4k monitor resolution which can down compare with 1920
ArmorWraith

Post by ArmorWraith » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:35 am

So a better Cpu (i7 4ghz) and more ram (8gb more?) would help me achieve more resolution in my paintings?

The reason I ask is because i want to start showing more brush strokes and detail, I mean canvases nearly 8000x8000 or greater software permitting.

All the best,

Armor
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:35 pm

If you wanted comfort drawing and also get so big canvases better way is to use script redrawing... For example, this pic was drawing in 2000px height and traced in 6000px by script.http://hangmoon.deviantart.com/art/Circus-606589435 This is actual way to really big brushes, if you draw by little brush and just wanted to get more details - CPU upgrade will be really helpful
Ilya_r

Post by Ilya_r » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:08 pm

You need to *teach* the program work with many cores. Now big brushes works slow. And it's use only one core and not on 100%
i7-4770k
Painty McPaintface

Post by Painty McPaintface » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:28 am

I've updated my cpu to an i7 7700k (which is the best I could afford.) and it's running at 5ghz I know there are better ones out there but I can't help but feel that it should be good enough to handle a reasonably large canvas (for prints) PSS has almost everything I need in a program, it seems to have the best parts of my three favorite art programs, except the sizable draw back of fairly poor optimization. Perhaps my settings are overkill on other programs so I have 2 questions:-
1 is better optimization being worked on, or even that realistic an expectation?
2 Can anyone suggest more feasible settings for good printing quality?

I usually have a canvas size of 24x28inches at a resolution of 350ppi using photoshop, Krita or painter, but the best I can do with PSS is 6000x7000p with the ppi only 72 (100 is workable but irritating to use after a while with larger brushes and blending, due to lag on moderately fast stokes and, above.)

thanks.
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:46 am

Painty McPaintface wrote: 1 is better optimization being worked on, or even that realistic an expectation?
2 Can anyone suggest more feasible settings for good printing quality?

I usually have a canvas size of 24x28inches at a resolution of 350ppi using photoshop, Krita or painter, but the best I can do with PSS is 6000x7000p with the ppi only 72 (100 is workable but irritating to use after a while with larger brushes and blending, due to lag on moderately fast stokes and, above.)
If you use pixels - the DPI doe's not mattered. DPI is just comfortable thing to store your print size, but increase quality. For example - you know that your print size is 10'x10' inches but it's only 720x720 px, and you increase pdi to 300 to get 3000x3000px but if you already increase your canvas size in pixels dimension - dpi will not give any effect.

Maximum quality of 99% printers is 300DPI. Also, Sometime polygraphic company show their services like 1200DPI or something same - it's a wrong understanding of DPI meaning.

What about performance, the current version works fast only at brushes near 200px size. You should wait a little for a new release, it supports large canvases and some types of brushes "fly" with 1000px size. (If you drawing by hairy brushes - it will slow at every soft with large size. )
JoseConseco

Post by JoseConseco » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:27 am

Any ideas when new version will be out? I tried painstorm on my 2in1 laptop but it was unusable slow.
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:02 am

We already transferring new release from WIN to MAC (ipad version will be released little later as always)

What about the topic, and video cards - the new version will be GPU powered and will be fly at the good video cards.