Hotkeys !!! :)

Adrian M
Hotkeys !!! :)

Post by Adrian M » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:58 am

Hello, first of all, your program is amazing, i want to make this my main concepting and art program in general, but me and a couple of people are really interested in it, we are working as professional concept artists and illustrators

the thing about digital artists is that hotkeys are the most important thing because we can get the program out of the way and just focus on art after we get a good flow and after we get the hotkeys in our muscle reflexes so we can focus on the concept / illustration.. etc. because of this, the program needs to be consistent and aware of human error and the way our attention spam and our muscle reflexes work.... for example .. in your program i often forget that i tapped the hotkey for the "eraser mode" on the brush so that i can use the same brush that i'm painting with to erase things due to it being the same size and me getting used and comfortable with that particular size in that context that i'm working with for a temporary time.. ( i usually change it every 2-3 seconds but for the time being it is perfect) , so i end up tapping the hotkey again and it pulls me out of the eraser mode of the brush and it breaks my flow :).... i could give you a million example of things like these..

I'm sorry for the long post but i hope you read it because i love how the program feels like and the options that it offers and i think it has huge potential to become the main program for everyone.. photoshop sucks, painter x is slow and full of useless clutter and manga studio is uncomfortable at times and is not well optimized even with awesome hardware you can still feel the lag...

so here are some suggestions for some hotkeys and options that people might like to have

- quick brush resizer : when you hold down ctrl+alt+click ( default) to resize your brush.... the option to always start from size 0 would be a good addition

- brush outline transparency per brush case so u can customize it so that you don't always see the brush outline except when you're resizing the brush

-consistent hotkey for "eraser mode" on the brush when it turns your current brush into an eraser.. so that if i press e,e,e,e,e it won't toggle but it will still let it be activated, this will go very well with hotkeys for color swatches.... for example in manga studio i have [e] for eraser brush mode, [d] for black color that switches off my transparent mode and gives me black, and [f] for white color , this in combination with a brush that has pressure for size and a buildup opacity of around 70% is amazing for quick sketching

- swatches hotkeys as mentioned above

- to be able to select zooming while pressing space+click, right now i have my movement for the canvas set to space hover... if the zooming would be on space +click that would give me pan and zoom with only using my pen and a button on it which would be extremely useful

-separate hotkeys for "lasso freehand" and "lasso freehand" selection tools

- and an option to set a hotkey to a "temporary mode" and to be able to set the ms of it... so that when i hold down a hotkey, it temporarily switches to the tool / color that it's set to then when i finish using it when i let go of the hotkey to go back to the original tool , this should work with colors, eraser mode, brushes, selection tools, eraser .. .etc....

- brush size to be able to be global based on screen not on canvas zoom mode

and multiple hotkeys for the same tools ...

it would be great if you could make a hotkey so that you can hold down a combination of keys and press a menu / interface item and to just be able to hotkey it with a dialogue coming up asking you if you want to reassign the key if it was mapped to something else, queue an item to the same key, etc.

i know it's a lot to take in all at once :) but bare with us here , this is important and it could make this software a leading digital painting software for all artists out there, and we'd be extremely grateful for it ^^, i'm willing to spend time working with you and testing the product if you're willing to make this the best tool out there
support
Site Admin

Re: Hotkeys !!! :)

Post by support » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:14 am

- to be able to select zooming while pressing space+click, right now i have my movement for the canvas set to space hover... if the zooming would be on space +click that would give me pan and zoom with only using my pen and a button on it which would be extremely useful
I am not understand this part, how you want to zoom and pan at one time? Now in Paintstorm "fast zoom" binding to ctrl+space(default) and zooming to the cursor target, same as in Photoshop (for example in Krita it zooming to the center of screen).
Adrian M

Post by Adrian M » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:20 pm

it's like this.. when i hover with my pen above my tablet without the tip of the pen having contact with the tablet, and i click a button on my pen that is assigned to space, i can pan the screen, but it would be nice if i could map the zoom to [space]+[click] so that if i press the button on the pen and i also press the pen on the screen it would start zooming :)
Adrian M

Post by Adrian M » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:26 pm

also , the most important thing for me at least is to be able to map swatches to hotkeys or primary / secondary colors, and to be able to select the "eraser mode" of the brush consistently with a hotkey, right now it's mapped to "toggle eraser mode" and if i press "e" for example two times, it gets me in and out of the eraser mode, it would be good if you also made the option to set a separate hotkey for it without toggle-ing it off if i press it twice by mistake, and to be able to sellect primary and secondary colors with another hotkey.... so for example i could tap "d" , then draw, then tap "e" then erase, then tap "d" again and draw ... the problem starts when i accidentally press "e" two times by mistake which makes me have to constantly press tab to see the menu ui to check if it's toggled on or off , or to draw then undo then tap e again to start erasing .... i'm not sure if this makes sense, it would be better if i'd show you, let me know if you want that and i can give you my skype, i really want to help and to work with this program consistently because it is amazing
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:57 am

Adrian M wrote:it's like this.. when i hover with my pen above my tablet without the tip of the pen having contact with the tablet, and i click a button on my pen that is assigned to space, i can pan the screen, but it would be nice if i could map the zoom to [space]+[click] so that if i press the button on the pen and i also press the pen on the screen it would start zooming :)
just bind "space+ctrl" at your pen button
Adrian M

Post by Adrian M » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:19 am

oh i did that already but what i'm saying is .. it would be cool if you could make the "left click action" bindable in combination to something else so basically [space] = pan [space + pen click] = zoom ... u know what i mean?