Linux Issues

rj00a
Linux Issues

Post by rj00a » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:07 am

Hello There,
I've been playing around with the Linux version of Paintstorm recently and I've found a number of problems:
  1. One core of my CPU is always running at 100% capacity. This stops while the "Open File" (Ctrl+O) window is active, for example. Otherwise, the CPU is continuously spinning, even while Paintstorm is minimized. A couple of months ago I tried an older version of Paintstorm with a different linux distribution, and the problem was there too. Therefore, I don't think this problem is isolated to my configuration. I also tried running Paintstorm through Wine and the problem was not present.
  2. With my dual monitor setup the default size of the Paintstorm window is too wide. The width of the window is about twice the width of the screen it was opened in. The window goes off the edge of the screen to the right, and I would need to manually adjust the window every time I open Paintstorm to fit the size of the screen. As a result, the canvas is not centered when Paintstorm is first opened. Here's a screenshot.
  3. Saving my painting crashed Paintstorm at one point. I don't have any information to help replicate the issue, unfortunately.
  4. When I try to save my painting as a .psd file, I'll get the message, "You can not save PSD in the trial version" (as expected). However, pressing Ctrl+S saves the painting anyway!
  5. Going to "Other -> Help" in the menu bar tries to open firefox even if I don't have firefox installed.
Most of these problems I can work around, except the high CPU usage. I would really like to purchase and use this product knowing that it won't burn out my CPU!
My Linux distribution is Arch Linux with the xfce4 desktop environment.
If there's anything you would like me to test, I'd be happy to do it.
gzorcc

Re: Linux Issues

Post by gzorcc » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:19 pm

Hello,

From my understanding, the cpu problem is related to paintstorm uncapped fps.

I have recently started using strangle (https://gitlab.com/torkel104/libstrangle) to cap paintstorm framerate to 60 and I quite satisfied with the results. My laptop fans used to go crazy right after launching paintstorm and that's no longer the case.
The only drawback I noticed to capping the frame-rate is that picking a different brush sometimes require multiple clicks. Workaround is having your brushes in a custom docker. (problem disappeared after doing that, might be a coincidence. also, all clicks seem to register in the custom docker)

Hope it helps !