Performance issues and expensive crashing

Fury
Performance issues and expensive crashing

Post by Fury » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:05 am

I haven't used PSS for a little while, not really since the last update... Haven't done much art. I finally got the urge and started painting, and I have fought constantly with the program. The first thing I noticed was how badly it lags and locks up after a very short period of time. I am running a Windows 8.1 Asus Q551 with an Nvidia 940 onboard, 8gig of RAM, and using a huion kamvas 156. Image specs were 8kx6k at 150 pixels per inch. Now, I realize my machine is clearly not a beast, so I shut down unnecessary processes, but it didn't seem to help a great deal. I have also gone in and tweaked the performance options in PSS to reduce some of it's memory (lowered number of brushes, memory for the undo feature as well as the number of undo steps possible).

By the end of the night it would lag out when I went to save, and the last time I did it, PSS utterly destroyed the file I was working on. Saved the file name but all that was left was 0k of... Blank. I tried to save, the program stalled, ate an entire days worth of work (thus reminding me that multiple saves desperately need new file names, not just hidden duplicated layers), then shut down.

So my question is whether this is something other people have experienced, and if there is something I can do to stabilize the program?

EDIT: I really hope there is something I can do, because I genuinely love the program in nearly all other ways- but in order to use it, it's simply got to be more stable. I'm not looking forward to having to redo an entire days worth of work, with the possibility of it being destroyed looming over my head.