Laggy Cursor

cestarian
Laggy Cursor

Post by cestarian » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:55 pm

I'm having this weird problem where the brush cursor is laggy, the program is blazing fast, unstoppable, I can have a custom form brush at 1000 px size on a 7000x7000 canvas with basically no lag (btw please remove the limit on canvas size, make it more of a recommendation instead, there is for example a demand for 8192x8192 texture, which cannot be made with this limit on), you're putting every other painting software to shame with this, nice work. (I'm on trial but knowing that you're working on a linux version and already have a working beta puts my heart at ease knowing that once I return to Linux which is my preferred work environment which I am not currently using for some reasons, I can still use this software :D thanks for the linux support, seriously! after testing it a bit more, I'm gonna buy it for sure!)

Anyhow, the first and only issue I've noticed with this software at a glance is that the brush/cursor itself is laggy.

It does not happen with any other tools' cursor.

I believe the cause may be that the cursor is rendered as part of the canvas, and that the canvas is maybe set to just 30fps, whereas the rest of my system is on 60fps. If I'm right, then please provide an option for a 60FPS canvas, I know it's set to this for performance reasons, but some of us actually have beefy graphics cards that can handle it (I have a 980-Ti for christs sake)

I am deeply impressed by this software, but there's no denying that some more work needs to be done on it.
support
Site Admin

Re: Laggy Cursor

Post by support » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:08 am

Anyhow, the first and only issue I've noticed with this software at a glance is that the brush/cursor itself is laggy.
What do you mean by "laggy" what really happenes with the cursor? (is it actual only for Linux?)
cestarian

Post by cestarian » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:45 pm

I found out what was causing it, and it was not on Linux, I have not gotten around to testing the linux version yet sadly because I've been too lazy to fix up my drivers on there (and even if I wasn't, it's an off brand tablet so I'd probably have to do some complicated shit to get it to actually work, something that's probably beyond my programming capabilities anyways)

I am currently on Windows 7.

The problem was caused by Aero, when Aero is enabled the canvas seems to drop to 30fps, I've noticed a similar issue in some other software as well which is fixed by disabling Aero (for example Steam's In-Home streaming sometimes suffers from the same issue but is fixed by disabling Aero). I guess you could find a way to fix it, or you could just add something that detects if aero is running and opts the user to turn it off if it is to reduce lag.
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:36 am

Hm, I can suggest that it can be connected with vertical synchronization for OpenGL... Try to disable vertical synchronization at the video card settings for the Paintstorm app.
Example: https://www.displaylag.com/wp-content/u ... V-Sync.png
cestarian

Post by cestarian » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 am

I tried disabling vsync for paintstorm in the Nvidia control panel, it did not fix this issue.