Available Memory on iPad Pro

support
Site Admin
Re: Available Memory on iPad Pro

Post by support » Wed May 17, 2017 9:33 am

ipad memory is a "difficult" (to understand) thing, it's HDD and RAM is the union, and ipad can dedicate memory from HDD (SSD) with some delays, by some unknown inner algorithms.

4000x4000 px ? (dpi doesn't give any effect if you create canvas in pixels, it's for inches and cm)
cloud-yo

Post by cloud-yo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:49 pm

I found a little trick online to free up a little more memory on the ipad pro.

Unlock your ipad.
press the power button until the power-off slider comes up.
press and hold the home button until the screen refreshes.

Essentially it clears the unused memory which will now be available for apps. On the 9.7 i have gained like 200mbs. It doesnt sound like much but it definitely helps while working on PSS.
hope this helps someone. :)
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:49 am

IOS release memory by the own way(unknown to us) You can don't doing anything but the memory will be change.
Scottossington

Post by Scottossington » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:42 pm

cloud-yo wrote:I found a little trick online to free up a little more memory on the ipad pro.

Unlock your ipad.
press the power button until the power-off slider comes up.
press and hold the home button until the screen refreshes.

Essentially it clears the unused memory which will now be available for apps. On the 9.7 i have gained like 200mbs. It doesnt sound like much but it definitely helps while working on PSS.
hope this helps someone. :)
Just tried this and I'm not receiving any low memory messages, where I had before with just using one layer and drawing some lines. Thanks
Aeralius

Post by Aeralius » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 am

Here is what I found can help with the available memory, especially in ios11 since it has more multi tasking. Try going on your iPad to settings >general >background app refresh, turn it off, or turn all off except for paintstorm. I was having low memory and that seems to have fixed it.
smile4yourself

Post by smile4yourself » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:46 am

I too have a message that comes up about Available memory sometimes when I open the app on my ipad pro. I have the first generation model with the max memory available at the time. I have noticed that when I get the message, some functions do not seem to work, as the app does not have enough memory. My solution is to close the other apps on the ipad that I am not using. That usually fixes it.

The other thing I do is close the other paintstorm windows open at the top of the app. These permit you to cut and paste images or image parts to your current workspace, but if you don't need them, get rid of them too.

That will give you more memory... at least it works for me so far.
moriturimax

Post by moriturimax » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:02 am

I get the memory warning all the time, so far nothing bad has happened. It is annoying, almost like a developer cue that someone forgot to turn off.

But to be clear, there is RAM memory and there is Storage. Both iPad Pros have 4GB of memory, the SSD storage runs from 32gb to 256gb for the 2015 model, and 64gb to 512gb for the new 2017 model.

I am assuming that the warning is for RAM, which is silly in and of itself since out of 4GB of memory, I know that I am not down to under 100mb's of the iPad Pro's RAM memory. Whether Paintstorm is somehow running in a container environment where it is only allocated xxx mb's to use I have no idea. I just have a vague idea of the exact Objective-C rules and regulations that apply to an app like Studio.