A few suggestions

AndreasResch
A few suggestions

Post by AndreasResch » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:21 pm

Hello.

I'm just giving Painstorm another try after a lot of issues seem to have been fixed since I tried it last. However there are still a lot of (sometimes very small) issues that make the experience a bit bumpy.

Here are a few observations/suggestions. They migh come in waves as I'm still converting brushes from Photoshop (manually - as the convertion is not really working). Maybe some of the issues are my mistake - sorry for that in advance.

1) Zooming in defined steps: When I zoom in/out I always end up in different zoom levels. When I start at a scale of 1 and zoom in/out twice, I end up at random scale levels (1.05, 1.10, 0.99). It would be great if zooming would happen in proper steps like in Photoshop.

2) Brush rotation: Rotating the brush in the Form dialog is very tedious. I have to click a lot of times in some cases. A slider or a handle in the brush window would be helpful.

3) GPU textures are softer: When I use textures with my brushes, they are softer when I have GPU enabled. I've seen this one discussed before. Because of that I can't transfer some of my brushes properly from Photoshop (bigger textures with fine details).

4) Drive brush settings by brush size: Driving certain settings by the size of the brush would be great.

5) Drive brush settings by initial direction: This was discussed before and it would be a great addition.

6) Brush cursor representing the squeeze setting: Would be great.

7) Random scale limits for textures: The random scale option for textures would be a viable option if the scale value could be restricted. Now it's much too random.

8) Speed improvement for double brushes: Unfortunately at this point the double brush feature isn't usable. It only works somewhat fast anough with small brushes. As soon as the get a little bigger, they are too slow.

9) Confirmation dialog when deleting brushes: PLEASE! I've deleted a few brushes by accident and had to recreate them.

That's it for now. More will come.

Cheers,
Andreas
support
Site Admin

Re: A few suggestions

Post by support » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:38 pm

1) Zooming in defined steps: When I zoom in/out I always end up in different zoom levels. When I start at a scale of 1 and zoom in/out twice, I end up at random scale levels (1.05, 1.10, 0.99). It would be great if zooming would happen in proper steps like in Photoshop.
What if you drawing real oil/watercolor/pencil and ask: "please god give me the ability to stay right in 100 inches from the canvas like I can do in photoshop!" it's a joke but what a strange requirement? photoshop zoom steps inherit from old versions then pixels has been sharpened only on half division. Anyway in Paintstorm you can bind 123456789 keys to the zoom slider to get fixed steps
2) Brush rotation: Rotating the brush in the Form dialog is very tedious. I have to click a lot of times in some cases. A slider or a handle in the brush window would be helpful.
You can rotate it by the angle1 and angle 2 sliders
3) GPU textures are softer: When I use textures with my brushes, they are softer when I have GPU enabled. I've seen this one discussed before. Because of that I can't transfer some of my brushes properly from Photoshop (bigger textures with fine details).
It's the double-edged sword, because with texture without smoothing you lose some thin details in texture and for some textures it looks ugly, but some boolean textures look better
4) Drive brush settings by brush size: Driving certain settings by the size of the brush would be great.
which settings exactly? texture? what more?
7) Random scale limits for textures: The random scale option for textures would be a viable option if the scale value could be restricted. Now it's much too random.

you can shift left point of the scale slider to limit it in the narrow sector