Default size and resolution

Fury
Default size and resolution

Post by Fury » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:01 am

When creating a new image in Paintstorm, I'd love to see the default resolution raised to at least 150 pixels per inch- In all honesty, no one one should ever create anything at 72 ppi. Sadly, I got so accustomed to Painter hanging onto my preferences that when I went to start something, I got waaaay into it before I realized that the size was pitifully small. I normally paint on ENORMOUS canvas sizes (In painter, I usually hit 10kx10k- things get mega-slow, but I like to be able to zoom WAY in to work on details and not have the image pixelate), so needless to say when I tried to zoom, the actual painting size made me cry a little.

Another suggestion would be for the program to retain the last image size and or resolution, but barring that a simple tweak to set the default at 150 would be grand.
support
Site Admin

Re: Default size and resolution

Post by support » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:24 pm

You can create any custom canvas preset and set it as a default starting preset (star icon)
Geth270

Re: Default size and resolution

Post by Geth270 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:39 pm

PPI is a term related only to printing, it does not effect the canvas you paint on in any way... only the resolution is important. There are plenty of resons for creating a document at 72 ppi, as an exaple a poster print which would be viewed from a distance would be perfectly fine at 72ppi and a bilboard print would be even lower.
So unless you are planning for a print ppi is meaningless, you can set it to 1 and it won't make a differencem, and if you are planning to print you may have to adjust the ppi regardeless depending on the size of the print you are going for.
There is honestly no reason for anyone who doesn't do printing to concern them self with ppi.