Control pen pressure when creating straight lines

eyald
Control pen pressure when creating straight lines

Post by eyald » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:25 pm

Hey!

I want to suggest a feature that no doubt many artists would appreciate, as it is a subject that is really not taken into consideration on many programs unfortunately.

When drawing straight lines with SHIFT, it would be great to have the ability to decide how much pressure the pen would have. currently it is always max pressure.
When drawing freehand and then needing to make a straight line, having the line at max pressure makes it not fit the rest of the lines. If you'd want it to fit, you'll have to change brush or edit it every time you make straight lines. If you would be able to set (with a slider for the brush for example) the pressure level for the straight lines, you would be able to set it to for example 70% so that the rest of the lines would match it.

Currently Photoshop has a not very good system of pressure on straight lines, but it's more flowing than clip studio paint that has also max pressure. I really think that would be a fantastic feature on Paintstorm! Making straight lines very intuitive and convenient.

I hope my explanation is clear, thanks! :)
ixie

Re: Control pen pressure when creating straight lines

Post by ixie » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:01 pm

You can use the ruler to create straight lines with controlled pen pressure
eyald

Post by eyald » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:14 am

You can, but that's not the same, it takes a lot more messing around than just pressing shift and clicking, especially if you alternate between straight lines and freehand on different angles.
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:10 pm

what's the difference between special slider for a pressure and slider for a size? It's drawing with a maximum size and opacity sliders, just set it to the required amount. But the "real fil"l stroke will be only with a ruler, you can also use shift with an enabled ruler for fast choosing direction.
eyald

Post by eyald » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:48 am

The problem is, when you constantly switch between straight lines and freehand strokes, the result with a pressure size/opacity brush is not very clean and flowing. having to move the ruler for every straight line, or switching brush setting every time is very un intuitive, at least I think so.

Changing the ruler with shift is very nice! but is still double the time :)

What I'm suggesting is a brush slider that controls pressure when doing straight lines (shift) only, this way it will be possible to get a clean line that will also flow nicely with the rest of the lines. Thanks!
offrecord

Post by offrecord » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:11 pm

I totally understand what eyald needs; I'm struggling for this feature as well.

I've compared CSP, PS, SAI2 for the similiar function (sorry for my odd English, and I had changed some hotkeys myself):

As for now I prefer the straight line mode of PaintToolSAI Ver. 2, it's the fastest software for drawing straight lines... (I also have CSP and PS) But aside from that, Paintstorm Studio is more powerful in almost every way. :) I'm recently migrating to Paintstorm, and I'm relying on a plugin called Lazy Nezumi to achieve similar feature. But as a plugin it still has some flaws.

So...why is it so important to draw straight lines "without" a ruler?

Simply by pressing or holding ONE key, I can immediately draw straight lines supporting pen pressure (in any desired angle). No need to adjust the angle of a ruler. No need to call out the rulers states to find the right one to use. This is incredibly useful when "sketching", especially when making comic pages (or making designs). Because I need to constantly adjust my ideas and compositions of the perspectives, mechanical objects, furniture and weapons etc.... tons of things involving straight lines in lots of different angle, in every pages.

I've also posted some sketch pages (made in SAI2 and PS) as an example: https://imgur.com/a/Zs7vK
Let's imaging what if all those straight lines doesn't support pen pressure? It'll be ugly. Or drawing all of them using rulers? It'll be time-consuming.

In this case, to make the steps as simple as possible, is actually much more important than to use rulers to draw "super clean and perspectively-correct straight lines". I appreciate the ruler tool right now, but it seems not too friendly for those users who are dealing with complex drawings. (And comparing Paintstorm to CSP, I actually like Painstorm a lot more. Photoshop? Forget it. :lol: )

Suggestion:
- "Press" shift to switch on/off straight line mode.
- In straight line mode, every stroke will be a straight line in any desired angle.
- When not in straight line mode, "hold" shift key and draw to get 0, 45 & 90 degrees straight lines.
- Always support pen pressure.

If this feature isn't deemed to be useful for enough people or it's impossible to code, it's fine, I still can rely on the plugin anyway. I just want to put my thoughts about this problem as clear as possible. Sorry for the long post and thank you again for making this wonderful program!
eyald

Post by eyald » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:14 pm

offrecord wrote:I totally understand what eyald needs; I'm struggling for this feature as well.

I've compared CSP, PS, SAI2 for the similar function (sorry for my odd English, and I had changed some hotkeys myself):
About CSP/SAI, SAI is better in that regard, as in CSP the straight line is a completely different tool with different settings, meaning if you change one the other's still with the old settings. Also SAI only imitates pressure, unlike Photoshop when you create horizontal lines and you only slide along the axis. I think the problem with pen pressure has to do with not knowing what pressure you need if you only create points for starting and ending. therefore I've suggested an option for setting pressure for the entire line.
SAI's option is the best probably, only by switching to straight lines with shift while holding, and maybe shift+another modifier for vertical/horizontal lines.

Thanks for the in depth explanation! Hopefully it will be implemented :)
Dust

Post by Dust » Tue May 01, 2018 12:51 am

I think that Krita Handles that quite nicely by having the key V pressed you can control the direction and Stroke Pressure in one movement
Its an incredibly simple yet powerful feature.