Rotate Canvas Feature Suggestion

SilverSurfer1221
Rotate Canvas Feature Suggestion

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:49 pm

Hello!

I am a new user to Paintstorm Studio and I love the program thus far. I am a graphics professional and have been doing digital artwork in Photoshop and Clip Studio Paint/Manga Studio 5. However, the power and flexibility of Paintstorm's brushes is winning me over.

Having said that, I would like to suggest a few changes to the Rotate Canvas features.

Alt+Space:

Alt+Space is the current keyboard shortcut to rotate the canvas on the fly. I am glad that Paintstorm has a shortcut, but I find this one to be a bit awkward. I would recommend this be switched to the "R" key for a variety of reasons. Firstly, "R" is easy to remember since what you want to do is Rotate the canvas. Secondly, it is the standard shortcut key in just about every other paint program out there, so making it "R" in Paintstorm would mean the end-user would not have to learn a new shortcut. And, lastly, the "R" key is not currently being used, so why not?

Snapping while Rotating Canvas?

Is there a way to snap to a specific degree while rotating the canvas in Paintstorm? I haven't found it. This is important particularly when you want to snap the canvas back to zero (the starting position). I don't like that I have to move my cursor over to the Navigator and slide the Angle slider all the way to zero to achieve this.

In programs like Photoshop, etc., holding down the SHIFT key while holding down "R" will snap the rotation to every 15 degrees. This makes it easy to get back to zero when you need to ... or to any other 15 degree increment, of course.

Changes to Angle Slider on Navigator:

I would like to see the Angle slider on the Navigator change. Currently it goes from zero on the left side to 359 on the right. This means I can only rotate the canvas via this slider in one direction. If I need to rotate the canvas counter-clockwise 10 degrees, then I have to, instead, rotate it 350 degrees clockwise.

What I would like to see is the slide start in the middle and have the middle be zero. Then the end-user could slide either left or right to rotate the canvas either counter-clockwise or clockwise. This would allow those who prefer to use the slider over the shortcut a fast way to get to any angle they please.

Thanks. :)
support
Site Admin

Re: Rotate Canvas Feature Suggestion

Post by support » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:22 pm

You can bind "reset canvas rotation" to any hotkey, or use Home and End keys - it's faster than shift+snap
What about slider - you can bind + and - hotkeys for this slider and use it to rotate in both directions (right click on slider to bind +/- keys)