Various suggestions; selection, hotkeys, copy/paste

plundh
Various suggestions; selection, hotkeys, copy/paste

Post by plundh » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi! I'm greatly enjoying Paintstorm so far - it's by far my favorite of all the iOS painting apps. I especially appreciate the customizable floating buttons and the drag-to-resize brush function.

There are however a few things that are missing from my workflow, and I hope you will take the following suggestions into consideration:

1. Keyboard hotkeys. My iPad Pro keyboard is completely unused in this app, which is a great shame. I would love to have customizable keyboard shortcuts, ideally being able to completely replace the floating buttons on the screen. This would let me work just as fast as I do on the computer, and free up even more screen real estate.

2. More intuitive selection tool with hotkeys. I often want to make a quick selection of something while painting, but currently this demands many clicks and much movement of the pen. In Photoshop I would for example:
L to select Lassoo tool
Draw selection
Hold Shift to add to selection
Hold Alt to remove selection
Use Alt to switch between polygonal and freeform selection
Ctrl+D to deselect

All these steps currently require clicking the menu on the top of the screen in Paintstorm, which really slows down the workflow. I'm hoping for some improvements in this area.

3. 2/3 Point perspective guides. I know there is a perspective ruler, but I would love to have the guides visible just as reference without affecting the brush. Also the limit of how far outside the canvas you can place the vanishing points seems to be a little too close, as some scenarios where the vanishing point is far out to the side currently don't work.

4. Ability to import pictures into the current painting, ideally also be able to paste and image from another app. Needing to create a new image within Paintstorm and then copy/paste is bit of a hassle. In Procreate you can copy and paste a picture straight from Safari, for example.

5. Curve guides. Being able to draw out a B-spline and use it as a guide would be great.

Thanks for reading, and keep up the good work! :)
support
Site Admin

Re: Various suggestions; selection, hotkeys, copy/paste

Post by support » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:53 pm

L to select Lassoo tool
Paintstorm Default is "W"
Hold Shift to add to selection
Ctrl+D to deselect
All these also work in Paintstorm.

Also, You can enable alt,shift,ctrl hot-buttons in iPad version.
plundh

Re: Various suggestions; selection, hotkeys, copy/paste

Post by plundh » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:08 pm

support wrote: Hold Shift to add to selection
Ctrl+D to deselect
All these also work in Paintstorm.

Also, You can enable alt,shift,ctrl hot-buttons in iPad version.[/quote]Thanks - good to know about the hot-buttons, though I would love to be able to use the physical keyboard.

Another thing I noticed some other apps do is have the canvas snap to horizontal orientation when roating with your fingers. This makes it easy to rotate back to default, making the separate "rotate canvas" and "reset canvas angle" buttons redundant and freeing up some UI space.