MASK management doesn't really live up to the current standard :(

ziggie
MASK management doesn't really live up to the current standard :(

Post by ziggie » Thu May 11, 2017 9:03 am

Hi team !

so, I've been using masks in PS for some time now and I've realized a huge flaw in management of masks in PS. What I mean by that is simple basic function of '' update-ing '' existing mask with additional selection values. If I add mask to any layer in PS I can't add to that mask at any point later in the future or can I ?
Transfering of the mask from layer to layer is another handy function which in my opinion should be explained a bit better, more intuitive since we all use it a lot during our workflow.
Have you noticed that you cannot duplicate a layer with mask applied to it ? Layer will be duplicated but mask ( from the previous layer ) will remain ignored for some reason, kinda silly in my opinion. Maybe add a pop up that asks user if he wants to duplicate existing mask as a part of '' new '' layer as well ?
Basic stuff is i'm afraid more important then '' cosmetics '' in my opinion. Sry all if this is already explained somewhere in the forum, haven't had time to browse through the entire thing yet.

Keep up the awesome work you do guys, all best team !
N.
support
Site Admin

Re: MASK management doesn't really live up to the current standard :(

Post by support » Thu May 11, 2017 10:45 am

You can edit mask area after creating it. to do it - click on any other layer and then click on the mask(of the current layer) - eraser = show, brush = hide
see attachment - left - is a wrong mask selection, requered for a multiple layer selection.... right - correct selection for editing.

what about duplicate - OK, thanks for reporting.
other suggestions already in the list.

'' cosmetics ' of the last release - is just a way to show that version 1.x and 2.x have the different engine, because not everyone read release logs, and can say something like - "and what's is the difference after several months?"
Attachments
img-2017-05-11-13-36-23.png
img-2017-05-11-13-36-23.png (8.94KiB)Viewed 1568 times
ziggie

Post by ziggie » Thu May 11, 2017 11:33 am

Hi team !
awesome how quick people respond on these forum posts, I'm really glad it's like that.

so, yea, didn't mean anything bad by '' cosmetics '' I know and i fully understand how things usually '' go '' with community and I can live with that. I'm just trying to point out that some basic functions need additional polishing, that's all, no pun intended :)

Thank you for your explanation with different mask editing modes, would be really useful if these mods had different colors, like, multi editing in blue and single editing in red, or yellow..dunno, maybe that contrast would read more then the current one ?! have to admit, it's kinda hard to see it :O

oh, yea, bdw, two more question that kinda sticks out in my head are : on larger documents, for example 3000 x 3000 in 300 dpi multiple layers clog scene beyond repair.What I mean by it is this, If in this scene I use more then 10 layers reasonably filled with details any layer editing I'm trying to do becomes endless struggle. If I want to move one layer above the other it takes '' ages '' for such a simple operation to be done. Layers layers layers :O

second question is also about layer management system in terms of GROUPS. So, lets say I make a group and I have some layers under that group that I want to place in that group, right ? well, first thing i need to do is '' open '' that group FIRST ( i guess so that PS knows where layers will be placed right ? ) then I need to use up and down arrows to drag single layer ( too bad we can't use this on multiple layers, or can we ?? ) into the group. Am i correct about the right procedure or ?
so, this present another problem when you look at group management system as a whole. What about the instances when i've already nested 30 layers in one group ? FIRST I need to open that group, then I need to place my '' NEW '' layer in that group by using up and down arrows. But, what If I need to place this new layer between 17 and 18 layer in the group ? With using only arrows and only on a SINGLE layer this operation is not as bad as lets say using it on more then one layer in a row. You see, this becomes a choke point in almost perfect workflow :(

hope you get what I'm saying, i've explained as best as I can.
All best team !:)
support
Site Admin

Post by support » Fri May 12, 2017 10:23 am

second question is also about layer management system in terms of GROUPS. So, lets say I make a group and I have some layers under that group that I want to place in that group, right ? well, first thing i need to do is '' open '' that group FIRST ( i guess so that PS knows where layers will be placed right ? ) then I need to use up and down arrows to drag single layer ( too bad we can't use this on multiple layers, or can we ?? ) into the group. Am i correct about the right procedure or ?
Just select several layers and drag them all to the opened folder... you need to teach how to dragging layers whiteout arrows buttons :) click on the layer and hold pressing until it flashes; start to drag.