Installing Painstorm Studio on Linux (Ubuntu 18.04) Guide

Description of your first forum.
blue-ten
Installing Painstorm Studio on Linux (Ubuntu 18.04) Guide

Post by blue-ten » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:53 am

I bought Paintstorm Studio on Windows and love it, so I wanted to try it out on Linux. It's a bit of an ordeal to get it installed if you don't have the right dependencies, so I thought I'd write up a little guide so you don't have to go in blindly like I did XD.

Note: Because I installed PSS on Ubuntu 18.04, this guide will probably only work as written for Ubuntu and other Debian-based distros. You may need to modify some of the commands to suit your distro.

Before installing anything on Linux it may be a good idea to update your system so you have the latest repositories/dependencies. Open a Terminal and run this command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt udpate && upgrade
Now to install PSS, download the Linux installation files from http://paintstormstudio.com/download.html

The instructions for installation that PSS provides (http://paintstormstudio.com/linuxfaq.html) work fine, but a simpler way to install under Ubuntu 18.04 is to, after extracting the .run file from the archive, right-click it and choose Properties; go to the Permissions tab, and then check the option for "Is executable", click OK, then you can just double-click on the .run file to install it. Punch in your password on the prompt that comes up and hit enter.

PSS is installed now, but when you try to launch it from your distro's main menu you will get this error in the terminal window that pops up:
error while loading shared libraries: libGLEW.so.1.13: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
This is because you either do not have libGLEW installed or the version you have installed is more up-to-date than the one that PSS requests.

Open a terminal and install this dependency with the command:

sudo apt install glew-utils
Once glew-utils is installed, find the location of libGLEW with the command:

locate libGLEW
Terminal should give you a short list. If you have Steam installed there will be a bunch of libGLEW entries in a row, ignore them - the entry you want will appear second-to-last at the bottom of the list and will look like this: "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLEW.so.2.0", specifically the one without the extra zero at the end.

You need to create a symbolic link so that any program that requests libGLEW.so.1.13 like PSS does can use the more up-to-date-version instead. Use this command to do that:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLEW.so.2.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLEW.so.1.13
You may have a different direcctory structure than me, so remember to change this code based on the list you got from "locate libGLEW". Also, remember to capitalize GLEW, Linux pays more attention to capitalization than Windows and leaving off the capitalization may cause an error.

Tip: if typing out the full directories is annoying, you can simply start typing them and then hit TAB to autocomplete. For example, if you type "/us" and then hit TAB, it'll fill in "/usr/" for you, same goes for the "x86..." directory.

Now if you try to run PSS from your main menu in Ubuntu, it should work fine!
Kenshirosan

Re: Installing Painstorm Studio on Linux (Ubuntu 18.04) Guide

Post by Kenshirosan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:41 pm

Thank you very much! This guide was really helpfull. I saw some advices about making a link, but they were showing other path to the lib (I don't know how to search for files outside of the Nautilus). So, thanks to you, I learned some more great things, thanks!
DanM

Post by DanM » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:06 pm

Hi, i followed your guide, PSS is running but i can't register with my e-mail. Everytime i try to write something PSS is crashing. Sorry for my bad english.
DanM

Post by DanM » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:53 am

Hi, i followed your guide and now PSS is working, but when i try to register my e-mail to activate PSS the software is crashing. What i'll need to do for register my licence? Sorry for my bad english.
free

Post by free » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:54 pm

Hi,
I get this same problem in Fedora 29, does someone know what i have to do?
blue-ten

Post by blue-ten » Fri May 24, 2019 3:41 pm

The only thing I can think to try might be launching PSS elevated from terminal, using sudo.

If you can't use the sudo command in Fedora you might need to install it first:

yum install sudo
then add your username to the admins list using the visudo text editor with this command:

visudo /etc/sudoers
If that doesn't work to get past the registration part without crashing, I'm not sure what else to try. It could be we need an update to the Linux version of PSS.
rattsang

Post by rattsang » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:16 am

free wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:54 pm
Hi,
I get this same problem in Fedora 29, does someone know what i have to do?
there is a solution. you can copy and paste your email under certain conditions. which are -

1. you MUST use the Right ctrl+v
2. you can only paste text if it is copied from the paintstorm registration text box
3. since the text box only accept 4 letters at a time without crashing, you must write 4 letters, then select the 4 letters and press Right ctrl+x to cut. next you write the next four letters. then press left arrow 4 times to go to the start of the text box and then press Right ctrl+v to paste the first 4 letters at the start.
4. repeat step 3 until your full email is in the text box.

using this method I just registered my copy successfully. good luck getting yours done.